Monday to Friday – 7.30am to 8.00pmSaturday – 8.00am to 4.00pm
Call Now (07) 5522 4566

The Most Dangerous Foods For Dogs!

The Most Dangerous Foods For Dogs!

It’s Christmas Day, you have gathered to celebrate with your family, friends and pets. The food is in abundance, and your beloved dog gets a sneaky share of this food under the table. But do you know what kind of food can lead to serious and sometimes lifelong health issues with your furry best friend?

We have put together a list of foods that you must keep well clear from your dog, no matter how irresistible those puppy dog eyes are.

1. Chocolate

Chocolate contains both caffeine and theobromine which if eaten by a dog can cause vomiting, dehydration, severe abdominal pains, agitation, muscle tremors, irregular heart rhythm, elevated body temperature, seizures and in the worst case death.

2. Cow’s Milk

Although puppies do drink milk from their mothers at birth, cow’s milk contains milk sugars called ‘lactose’. Dogs do not have the enzymes to break down lactose, therefore, consumption of milk can lead to vomiting, diarrhoea and many other gastrointestinal problems. Whilst it’s not immediately life threatening, it is still best to avoid.

3. Onions and Garlic

These contain compounds that can be harmful to dogs when ingested. Consumption of onions and garlic damages the red blood cells causing your dog to become very weak and unable to move around.

4. Macadamia Nuts

When your dog ingests a macadamia nut they can develop weakness, inability to walk specifically in their hind legs, vomiting, depression, tremors and hypothermia.

5. Grapes, Raisins, Sultanas

Grapes, raisins and sultanas can cause rapid kidney failure, vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy, dehydration and a lack of appetite. While it can vary between dogs, symptoms may not show.

6. Avocados

Sorry, no guacamole for you! Avocados can have quite a toxic effect on dogs. They can cause upset stomachs, breathing difficulties and fluid build ups in the chest. But most importantly the most dangerous part of the avocado is the pit! The pit of the avocado is rather slippery and can be swallowed by a dog quite easily. This can lead to an obstruction of the intestines and an costly surgery to follow.

7. Apple Cores

Whilst we tend to leave the core ourselves, we need to make sure our pet does not get a hold of it. The core of an apple contains cyanogenic glycoside which is commonly known as cyanide. Some of the symptoms that can come from ingesting this toxin are; dizziness, struggling to breathe, seizures and collapsing, hyperventilation, shock and worst case- comas.

8. Caffeine

Coffee contains a stimulant known as ‘methylated xanthine’, which when ingested by dogs stimulates the nervous system. This causes vomiting, restlessness, heart palpitations or even death.

If you think your pet may have consumed any of the above mentioned and have any concerns, please contact the clinic on 55224566 



Sign up for our e-newsletter below

Stay up to date with everything you need to
know about caring for your pets!